effects of el paso

December 20th, 2014

Well, we left the Houchen center to return to Abilene today.  Although we may be leaving El Paso, I don’t think any of us will forget the experiences and friends we made on this trip.  You’d be surprised how close you get to people when you’re cleaning a damp, moldy basement, or washing seats in the day care, or even cleaning a kitchen.  But the thing I think had the biggest effect on everyone has to be Friday when we gave out bags of food and toys to the less fortunate in El Paso.  There were several people that gave us hugs, and little old ladies would give us kisses on the cheek.  One lady grabbed my hand and proceeded to explain to me the many ways we were helping them, and how they all really appreciated it.  It made me really realize for the first time just how big of an impact one week of volunteer work can make such a big difference in the lives of hundreds of others.  I truly feel like God was going to get me on this trip one way or another.  This trip has really opened up my eyes to the power of volunteering and I would like to thank God for providing this opportunity to me.

Written by Malcolm Carpenter