A Wei to Introduce Myself—A Personal Narrative

Uncategorized

Hey, do you know Wei? Who? The Chinese student who is double majoring in mathematics and computer science, tutoring at the AEC, and well involved on campus.

I am your friend Wei. As a senior, I am having so much fun at McMurry. In 2016, I came to McMurry as an exchange student. It was my first time visiting the U.S., but it did not take me long to make a big life decision — committing to McMurry for my bachelor’s degree. I had a great experience during my first semester, and I quickly foresaw the great things I could do in such a lovely community.

I came to McMurry with a decent amount of English vocabulary and grammar, but I had trouble communicating and doing well on my homework. As an international student, I am grateful for the fundamental English classes McMurry offers. Instructors are both encouraging and patient. My freshman year, I went to a student activity in which students were instructed to write down their wish for the semester. “Make more friends,” was what I wrote. The first few weeks I had a hard time and suffered from loneliness and homesickness until I began interacting with other students and making friends. After the first few friends, it became easy to open up and talk to people and I made friends all over campus. Two years later, I realize that because of my involvement on campus, I am somewhat well known among students.

My list of campus involvement is pretty long and each experience allowed me the opportunity to pick up new skills. You may not remember, but I actually worked in the dining hall for a while where I learned how to engage in basic conversations during dinning services. During my sophomore year, I got the chance to work as a math and chemistry tutor at the AEC, where I found my passion of teaching. Being a staff writer for the War Hawk Herald newspaper was not something I planned; but, polishing my journalistic skills allowed me the chance to interact with different people on campus, and improve my writing skills. Joining the Honors program is one of my commitments to achieve the goal of academic excellence. My decision to pledge Theta Chi Lambda and national service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega are also important parts of my junior year. I have gained friendships and felt loved by many sweet people.

A few other, and some of my favorite, diverse and colorful experiences include the Model United Nation conference in New York, where I enjoyed role-playing as a delegate of Nepal to address Nepal’s position on the International Organization for Migration committee. The 2018 Parliament of World’s Religions in Toronto where I was able to enjoy having conversations with the outstanding spiritual leaders from all over the world. I learned about the justice-seeking movements that changed the U.S. when I went to the Civil War Rights trip. I have had the opportunity to analyze and research the development of anti-cancer therapeutic theories in the McMurry chemistry department, and my crew won second place out of twenty universities in the Texas Mathematics Bowl Competition. Though I am very active and involved in campus, I dedicate myself 100% when I choose to participate in in something. Through my involvement, I have gained knowledge over political science, religion, sociology, chemistry, as well as, math and computer science.

Moreover, I have continued to love McMurry. I am very appreciative of all the chances I have been provided; and, after I got nominated for Ms. McMurry in 2019, I have been totally convinced that anything great is possible at McMurry. Along the way of growing to who I am today, I have also received countless amounts of love and support from faculty and friends. After I graduate in May, I plan to pursue a PhD in mathematics in order to be a future professor and researcher.

For a period of time, I didn’t know how to introduce myself to people. However, within three years, I have experienced so much and I have refused to limit myself in one thing. If there is one word to describe me, it is Wei.

I am your friend Wei. As a senior, I am having so much fun at McMurry. In 2016, I came to McMurry as an exchange student. It was my first time visiting the U.S., but it did not take me long to make a big life decision — committing to McMurry for my bachelor’s degree. I had great experience during my first semester, and I quickly foresaw the great things I could do in such a lovely community.

I came to McMurry with a decent amount of English vocabulary and grammar, but I had trouble communicating and doing well on my homework. As an international student, I am grateful for the fundamental English classes McMurry offers. Instructors are both encouraging and patient. My freshman year, I went to a student activity in which students were instructed to write down their wish for the semester. “Make more friends,” was what I wrote. I had a hard time suffering from loneliness and homesickness until other students reached out to me and wanted to be my friend. I made my first friend, then second, and much more in due time. Two years later, I realize I am somewhat popular among students because of my involvement on campus.

With the school’s permission, I worked at the cafeteria for a while where I learned how to engage in basic conversations during dinning services. During my sophomore year, I got the chance to work as a math and chemistry tutor at AEC, where I found my passion of teaching. Being a staff writer for War Hawk Herald newspaper was not something I planned; but, as I polished my journalistic skills, I got chances to interact with different people on campus, all while improving my writing skills. Joining the Honors program is one of my commitments to achieve the goal of academic excellence. My decisions to pledge Theta Chi Lambda and national service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega are also important parts of my junior year. I have gained friendships and felt loved by many sweet people.

When I went to Model United Nation conference in New York, I enjoyed role-playing as a delegate of Nepal to address Nepal’s position on the International Organization for Migration committee. When I went to the 2018 Parliament of World’s Religions in Toronto, I enjoyed having conversations with the outstanding spiritual leaders from all over the world. When I went to the Civil War Rights trip, I learned about the justice-seeking movements that changed the U.S. I have also analyzed and researched the development of anti-cancer therapeutic theories in the chemistry department. Winning the second place with my crew in a Texas Mathematics Bowl Competition out of twenty universities was also fun. I have dedicated myself 100% when I participate in any of my activities, and I have gained knowledge over political science, religion, sociology, chemistry, as well as, math and computer science.

Moreover, I have grown to love McMurry. I am appreciative of all the chances I have been provided; and, after I got nominated for Ms. McMurry in 2019, I have been totally convinced that anything great is possible at McMurry. Along the way of growing to who I am today, I have also received countless amounts of love and support from faculty and friends. After I graduate in May, I plan to pursue a PhD in mathematics in order to be a future professor and researcher.

For a period of time, I didn’t  know how to introduce myself to people. However, within three years, I have experienced so much and I have refused to limit myself in one thing. If there is a word to describe me, it is probably Wei.