Student Organizes Relaxing Event for Community

Issue 15: April 19, 2023

Graduation is less than a month away! So many exciting opportunities are arriving in the coming weeks, including Flow. Flow is a painting and poetry event focused on the utilization of the natural flow of creativity in everyone. It sponsors a relaxing and expressive opportunity that promotes unique and artistic perspectives in the community. Flow is projected to transpire May 12th, 4:30 – 6:00 p.m., and it is an invitation for patrons to unwind and de-stress by using art as a tool of reflection and relief from daily struggles.

Miles Walker is a sophomore at McMurry University and is the primary organizer of Flow. After being asked to organize an event, Walker turned to his experiences as a college student, and created an occasion that spoke to the positive influences art and creativity have had on his own life in hopes of connecting to others.

Being a student organizer has had its toll on Walker, not inherently in a stressful way, but he shares that since this is his first time organizing an event it comes with a lot of amateur challenges. “This is my first time organizing an event so there are a lot of firsts involved. Nevertheless, I’m incredibly excited about the opportunity to introduce my passions to other people and work in a different side of the art world.”

Walker also acknowledges the struggle of finding a bigger network of creative influences. “Outreach took a lot longer than I thought it would. Waiting on responses and searching for people who want to be involved was easily my biggest concern.” But it was well worth the wait! Although there were disruptions in the process, Walker shares the joy and excitement associated with planning this event. “The most fun part of organizing this event is the challenges that it presents. It keeps my eyes and ears open to the people around me, pushing me to build a bigger network of creatives.”

This event is personal to Walker as he explains his motivation behind the event. “I have noticed a disconnect between the arts and the public. I want to highlight some of the importance and benefits of the arts in a way that can stay with people long after they leave the studio.” Walker explains that he hopes to achieve positive social and creative interaction through this event. Art is such a prominent influence in our everyday lives even if we aren’t always consciously aware of it. “Art is people speaking in a language, representing the human experience, and connecting in a way that we all need. We are social beings after all. We need to feel seen and heard.” Overall, Walker shares that this experience has been overwhelmingly rewarding and inspiring. Let your creative and artistic mind thrive around others at Flow, 1117 Studios and Gallery, May 12th 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.!