A First Look at the Garrison United Methodist Campus Center Transformation

Issue 25: February 28, 2024

Many of our current War Hawks have been patiently waiting for the big changes that have come to our campus. One of the big changes we were all waiting for was the new and improved Garrison United Methodist Campus Center. The campus center was under construction for quite some time, and now that it has gone through its huge transformation, students are ecstatic to experience it in a whole new light. The War Hawks on campus are ready to take advantage of all the great things that the campus center can offer: such as the state-of the-art fitness center, upgraded gathering areas, a quiet place to study, and so much more.

My first experience of the new campus center was amazing. There are so many upgrades to it, it is hard to remember what it was like before. I loved the old campus center because I created so many memories there during my first two years at McMurry, but I am excited for all the new experiences and memories I will create in this new space for us. Even though I am a senior and don’t have much longer to enjoy the new campus center, I believe that current and future War Hawks will enjoy it for many years to come.

I was curious to find out what other War Hawks were thinking about our new campus center, so I went to interview some students that were already putting the space to use. There were many good things said, and I would like to share them with you!

Caleb Williams said, “The new campus center has such a welcoming atmosphere. It feels fresh and up to date; it is a great space to hang out, workout, and focus on my schoolwork when I need some time to myself without distraction. I think this space is going to contribute to my success in classes and my overall wellbeing.”

Another student said, “The study spaces are perfect! Quiet when you need to focus and collaborative when you need to work with classmates. I have already worked on a group project for one of my classes here and I was grateful for the space. We received a good grade on our project too! We just meet here after class to get some work done instead of stressing about getting it all done on our own or in class.”

Lastly, a senior student said “The lounge areas and seating are so comfortable. It’s a nice place to relax and socialize between classes. I also will be taking advantage of the workout facility these next few months. The equipment is nice and will help me relieve some of my stress. I need to break a sweat sometimes to get my mind right. I have a little added stress since I am trying to find a job for after I graduate.” Everyone I have spoken to seems to be loving the new campus center. Some areas are still being worked on, but you can grab a friend and go check it out now!