Get Out and Vote!

Uncategorized

When I was younger, every so often, my father would interrupt any childish activity I was engaged with to take me out to a small and intimate office space where people went inside small booths to cast their ballot. As a child, I saw no reason as to why I accompanied my father out in his voting endeavors.

“This is your right as a citizen of this country,” my father implored constantly.

As my duties from building Legos and playing outside for endless hours have shifted to building my future and playing the job field for hours, the importance of my father’s actions and words now ring loudly in my conscious.

When I voted in the 2016 presidential election—the first election I could vote—I felt proud. I called my father soon after casting my ballot, and even though we disagreed politically, we both engaged in our right to vote.

Voting isn’t just a way to go out and express who you think is the best candidate. Voting is a right that not many countries have, and even though some may say that their single vote may not count for much, it does. Believe me, it really does.

As we near a presidential election this autumn, the country has all eyes on you. According to Forbes, in 2018, the amount of college students voting doubled from 2016. As a college student, you are expected to think critically and expand your mind, regardless of the degree you are pursuing. College teaches us to think critically for ourselves and thus translate that to the values we hold dear as young adults.

As young and ambitious students, the future is in our hands. As cliché as it may sound, it is entirely true. The amount it takes to register to vote equals the amount of time you can spend scrolling endlessly through Twitter. Registering to vote is not an arduous process. There are many resources quickly available to us through the click of a button, and many adults (professors or administrators) close to you who are more than willing to help guide you through the process.

As our seemingly divided nation bursts between constant engagements between democrats and republicans, liberals and conservatives, capitalists and socialists, where you stand is what you believe in, and what ultimately makes you a citizen of this country.

“I recently became a U.S. citizen, and one of the first things I did was to register to vote,” commented senior Marketing major Daniel Cortez. A native of Mexico, Cortez aspires to have a voice in this country and see change for his future family.

A key aspect about voting is being informed. You cannot make an informed decision by scrolling through Facebook and seeing targeted ads that appeal to you. Rather, use your ability to think critically and engage with local and national politicians’ platform. The resources to learn and engage with politics are bountiful. However, it is up to you to inform yourself and make an informed decision as to who will best represent your interests and values in the White House, and in your local congressional district.

“I mainly want to vote because it’s not my future I’m thinking of. I’m thinking of how this country will look like for my family and for my children. Of course, you’re not going to see immediate results, but in the long-run, you know your voice will be heard,” concluded Cortez.

Terry Young often send emails informing campus on how to vote, where to vote, and information on local candidates. Be on the lookout for more information on how and where to vote from Mrs. Young. If that doesn’t suit you, here is the direct link for you to register to vote in Taylor County: https://www.taylorcountytexas.org/213/Registering-to-Vote

Let your voice be heard, War Hawks! The deadline to register to vote for the joint primary election is March 3rd.