football players carrying the McMurry Flag

Homecoming Happenings

Uncategorized

More than just a football game, homecoming is a time when alumni from around the country return to their alma maters to reconnect with people, places, and traditions. Homecoming is an annual tradition of the United States. People, towns, high schools, and colleges come together, usually in late September or early October, to welcome back alumni and former residents. It is built around a central event, such as a banquet and, most often, a game of American football. I asked some of our very own war hawks about how they feel about the upcoming game. First warhawk to give me their response was Zha”Destian Griffin, offensive lineman, guard #66,”I believe all our hard work and the extra week of preparation we had will show on the field this Saturday. We’ve been working very hard and I’m one-hundred percent confident that we will put it on display Saturday in front of a great crowd. I’m very excited because it will be an awesome crowd for homecoming and the fans will get to see the great team that we have become and I’m excited that we get to put on a show for our fans and fellow War hawks!!!” Our next war hawk, Vern Angton III, offensive lineman, guard #73 “ I believe we are going to win, and I am excited considering this is my first homecoming game since the inconvenience of covid”. The homecoming football game is one of the biggest events of the year, so it’s important to plan things right. With the cheerleading squad leading the pack, you can be sure that all the fans in the stadium are presenting a unified front to support the school. Work together to create a fun homecoming game, whether our Warhawks win or lose. Not only will we be cheering on our war hawks, but the Homecoming court will be announced. The announcers will be Homecoming King and Queen, Junior, Sophomore, and Freshman class favorites. Not only will we be addressing the homecoming court but there will be a Tailgate. A “tailgate” is the back part of a vehicle (usually a truck). It can also refer to gatherings that typically happen in the stadium parking lot just prior to the game. It is called “tailgating” because people used to lower the tailgate of their truck and hang out with friends before a game and/or event. Nowadays, tailgating has gone to a whole new level with people setting up tents, BBQ grills, tables, chairs, games, lots of food & drink, and sometimes even a TV or two. Most Social Clubs, admissions offices, professors, and other organizations will be tailgating at this homecoming game. So come out and enjoy free food and have fun with friends and family as we support our war hawks during the homecoming game. Although things will not completely be back to pre-COVID normal, we are confident we can provide a wonderful experience for our alumni and guests during Homecoming Weekend 2021. Can’t wait to see you there. Ala Cumba!!!