By: Jessica Akers & Madison Scott

Team AI Experts took a three-day intensive course to obtain AI Certification. Pictured is Craig Barton, owner of Champion Genetics, leading the tour on day 1.

Fall Recap…

The goal for November and December was to finish and finalize literature reviews before obtaining Artificial Insemination (A.I.) Certification. Both research teams participated in A.I. training at Champion Genetics in Canton, TX. After receiving A.I. Certification each team made a formal presentation to their peers, faculty, and community members regarding information learned from A.I. training and explaining the information learned from literature reviews.

Team AI Experts getting ready to practice on live cattle.
The course provided Team AI Experts with a hands on experience to learn proper technique.

Each team member works on AI gun placement before live cattle practice.

What we have accomplished…

Artificial Insemination School was a three day intensive course. On day one, teams learned about semen collection & processing, semen storage & shipping, bovine anatomy & physiology, A.I. technique, and pregnancy determination. On the second day teams practiced with post mortem tracks, on live cattle, proper gun placement, heat detection, heat synchronization, BCS scoring, loading guns & semen handling, and completed a written test. On day three, teams performed pregnancy determination, A.I. breeding live cows, CIDR placement & shot location, BioPryn blood draws for pregnancy checks, and finally received A.I. certificates. Teams also learned the specific tools used for A.I. and the anatomy of the cattle which improved technique. After receiving A.I. Certification each team made a formal presentation regarding information learned from A.I. training and explaining the information learned from our literature reviews. The presentations were held at the Abilene Educational Center. 

Every member of the team received AI Certificates.

What’s next?

During the Spring 2020 semester, teams will begin work in the lab. Team AI Experts at the Abilene Campus will begin to look at the effects of cold shock on the viability of bovine semen post-thaw. Team AI Experts at the Cisco Campus will look at the efficacy of thawing procedures at different temperatures and the relationship to viability post-thaw. Both teams will prepare for poster presentations for the McM Research Festival.

Artificial Insemination and Pregnancy Determination Presentation held at the Abilene Educational Center.