T.I.P.’s Annual Sing Song Competition: the Best Night of the Semester

Issue 28: April 17, 2024

Sing Song is an annual competition between the Fraternities and Sororities here at McMurry! It is hosted by the sorority T.I.P. every year since the first Sing Song in 1958. The contest consists of dancing and singing, and lots of hard work put in by many students. Each group performs two songs back-to-back, with a few minutes to change in between. This year’s theme is “Battle of the Bands”, and it will be in Radford Auditorium at 7 p.m. on Saturday, April 20th! Tickets are $2, and the entry ticket will be used to enter into raffles which take place between performances. Most of the door prizes include various gift cards, sweet treats and snacks.

I asked some senior students why they are excited for this year’s Sing Song. Makona’s Vice President Hayden Baker stated, “After winning last year, it’s exciting going in and seeing more clubs than usual entering and being competitive. Even if we don’t win, it’s a fun process hanging out as a group and practicing in the weeks leading up to Sing Song”.

Senior Kailey Dutcher said, “As Gamma Sigma Co-chair for Sing Song, I am super excited to show what we have been working on these past couple of weeks. Lauren Scott and I have put a lot of time/energy into both our songs, and can’t wait to show everyone! Not only that, but I’m so excited to see what everyone is doing! Saturday will be filled with tons of laughter, costumes, music, dancing, and fun! I just can’t wait.”

Lastly, I wanted to speak to someone who has an important role in the planning process for the event! Christiana Perez, Sing Song Representative and the 2nd Vice President for the sorority T.I.P., is very excited about this year’s competition! “We will have the majority of the Greek Life organizations involved and they have all selected great, upbeat songs,” Perez said. “It is always so much fun to see all the clubs come together for some singing and dancing, especially when there is some prize money on the line!”

I asked Perez what audience members who are not involved in Greek Life can expect, and she says that it will be “an entertaining evening where they can see their classmates transform into totally different characters. We love to have our audience be interactive throughout the performances. The goal of the event is to make the entire auditorium feel connected. Although it is a competition, it is still very much about fellowship and fun!”

Greek Life groups rehearse many hours leading up to the big night hoping to place in the top three and win prize money. This year, third place will receive $100, second place will win $200, and first place will win $300. This will be an amazing night that you won’t want to miss!