Everything Everywhere all at Once: Worthy Winners

Issue 13: March 22, 2023

I don’t think I’ve ever sat down and watched an entire Oscars ceremony. This year was no different, but it’s the first time I’ve ever regretted it. So many amazing films were nominated this year, but one stands out from the others. Upholding its role as the most nominated film and winning 7 awards at this year’s ceremony is Everything Everywhere all at Once!

This film is astonishing in so many ways, hence, why their Oscar takeaway was so profound. The story consists of a reality disrupted by an interdimensional entity, causing an unlikely hero to emerge. Battling chaotic and outlandish dangers of the multiverse, Evelyn Quan Wang must overcome temptation with love and acceptance. The film breathtaking in its cinematography and acting performances, is also revolutionary in the film industry.

They acquired 7 awards this season, including best director, best editing, best original screen play, best picture, best lead actress, best supporting actress, and best supporting actor. Therefore, being the most awarded show at this year’s Oscars. Among the 3 actors who won in their category is Michelle Yeeoh. Who because of this film, has become the first Asian woman to win best actress! In her acceptance speech Yeeoh says, “For all the little boys and girls who look like me watching tonight, this is a beacon of hope and possibilities. This is proof… [to] dream big, that dreams do come true.” Her performance as Evelyn Quan Wang was breathtaking and powerful. Her speech inspired and uplifted viewers, truly proving her worthiness of such an honorable title.

Everything Everywhere all at Once has also become actor Ke Huy Quans revival film! Famous child star claiming roles like Data in Richard Donner’s “The Goonies” and Short Round in Steven Spielburg’s “Indiana Jones Temple of Doom,” Quan returns to the big leagues after decades of absence from the film scene. His nomination for best supporting actor as Waymond Wang is a huge milestone. His response drew tears of happiness and admiration from fellow Oscar attendees as well as those watching at home. “They say stories like these only happen in the movies. I cannot believe it’s happening to me,” says Quan in his acceptance speech. “Dreams are something you have to believe in. I almost gave up on mine. To all of you out there, please keep your dreams alive. Thank you so much for welcoming me back. I love you.”

The revolutionary film has sustained opportunities for small film studios and Asian actor representation. It is a beautiful film and I implore you to watch Everything Everywhere all at Once, it will change your life!